Saturday, November 24, 2012

Nice evening for flying

The wind dies down and I strolled over to the field with my Champ, Corsair, and Spitfire to get them all some airtime. I found that I need to open the Spitfire up because I think there is a loose battery wire, I notice before I would have to hook the battery up a couple of times before it would bind, after one flight it gave up on me. The corsair, after a recent repair seems tail heavy and rather than break it up any more it became a Champ kind of night.

I do love the high wing planes when I'm not trying to be fancy. I enjoy my two warbirds and love watching them go by at eye level, as well as the most relaxing part of this hobby is the fact that I am concentrating on flying rather than thinking about work, or the house, or what my sixteen year old is out doing now that she is driving, and these planes take a lot more concentration than the Champ. But still, the Champ requires just enough concentration to where you can still take your eyes off it, or fly it one handed while vaping a bit without starting to think about other things. I hope the Carbon Cub gives me the same satisfaction.

I spent the sunset zipping around above the trees, low and slow under the branches, and touch and going in the administration building parking lot beside the field. As it got dark I went back to my yard where I know the edges of the trees better until I was flying by the red glow in the nose. I put dinner in the oven and swapped the Champ for my Night Vapor and got another twenty minutes in before heading in to eat.

The Vapor did its funny thing again, where it nose dives on its own and no input will recover. This has happened three times but this was the first time that control didn't come back before it hit the ground. Good thing is that full speed nose first into the ground caused 0 damage. That plane is indestructible. I might buy a second one and let the little kid next door have at it, that would be a true torture test. (I feel like Mr. Wilson most times.)

I thought I might add for any ultra micro lovers out there that, if like me you have nowhere to safely store your planes and are tired of stacking boxes every time you want to get a plane out, I found that one of these works great.



The landing gear hooks over a middle rack and the fuse settles down over one of the lower outer ones. I can fit 6 on a side safely and my DX6I hangs safely by the handle on the top corner. Just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment